Sunday, September 9, 2007

Vacation
Part II

As though running after 2 kids for 7 hours straight at Sesame Place wasn't tiring enough, we decided to drive another hour and a half deeper into PA (or twice as long if you are stuck behind one of these).


Once at our destination, Lancaster, PA, we would stay overnight and spend the next day at the Dutch Wonderland amusement park.


If you haven't heard of this place before, believe me, you are not alone. Dutch Wonderland was purchased by Hershey park a few years back and that's how I've learn about it. This place is filled with over 30 rides and even though it was very crowded, there were almost no lines to any of the rides. As soon as we walked in the park, Seth and David disappeared from sight. Seth was very eager to take David on as many rides as possible. Finally, he had a buddy who isn't afraid of heights and who can go with him on a roller coaster ride over and over again.

One of the few rides that I went on with David was the Frog Hopper - a simple ride that simulated a free-fall drop of a couple of feet at a time - which had to be stopped as it was too high for me and I became hysterical. David didn't even notice my screaming, but rather kept saying "ribbit, ribbit". So, finally the ride was stopped and I got off. However, David remained seated for 4 more rounds. I am just glad he didn't inherit my fear of heights.

David got a chance to test drive a Chevrolet around the park.

The next ride cost me a few gray hairs. As I and David stepped inside and proceeded to climbing up very steep and spiral metal staircase to reach a slide, a worker literally dragged me back since no adults were allowed in. Of course, David was busy running upstairs and was oblivious that I wasn't following him. Thankfully, he safely reached the top and slid down. When older kids asked their parents to go again, David imitated them by saying "one more time, please" while holding one of his fingers up. How could I say no to that? But there wasn't just one more time, rather 5 more times.

"Destroy everything ahead of me!"

The Sky Ride was amazing - at least that's what I've heard. I was content staying on the ground.


At this point, I lost my boys again, but caught up to them on the on Voyager ride - a simulator ride that had something to do with outer space. I knew that's where Seth must have dragged David. All I need is for my little boy to become as big fan of Star Trek as his father is.


David rode the roller coaster for his first, second and third times. Again, I stayed back, but Seth was right by his son's side delighted that David was excited as much as he was about this ride.


I pulled myself together and joined the entire family on the Double Splash ride. That's the only ride that David didn't want to go on again because a few drops of water ended up on his shirt.

Julia went on a few rides, but mostly she was exploring the Dutch Wonderland by feet.

Our Little Miss Independence refuses to sit in her stroller or even hold my hand while walking and, of course, napping in an amusement park is out of the question. So, there we were, running 7 hours non-stop after the baby who was not bothered by a 95 degree weather, was curious to turn every stone and put everything in her mouth that she found on the ground. But even little monkeys run out of energy even if it takes them seven hours to do so.

Yes, we won! We tired them out! But then we realized that there was a 3 hour drive ahead of us, and Seth and I were both very exhausted. So the ones having the last laugh were the two little terrors asleep in the back of our car.

No comments: