Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A long weekend
(not as long as this post).

It's been a really long weekend.

Earlier last week David started coughing which wasn't too bad, so I kept sending him to school and bringing him to his classes. By Friday, the poor child could hardly breathe, and a river was running down his nose. It wasn't his regular asthmatic-like cough which usually stops withing a few hours after administering him his asthma medication. This time it was different. His prescription medication wouldn't work, and he'd end up vomiting his meals during a coughing fit; meals that pretty much consisted of toast and water. Because of his coughing, David couldn't get enough sleep during the night or during his naps, so imagine David, with his existing personality , but really tired. I had a walking time-bomb in my house! On top of all that, Julia started sniffing and coughing.

We spent most of the weekend doing a lot of arts and crafts projects; everything from cutting out the Sunday comics, sponge and finger painting, playing with the pails and shovels in a box filled with rice (instead of sand) and, of course, making pasta out of play-doh.

Thankfully, Seth had set up a computer for David, so he spent a few minutes a day playing his games.

David doesn't really like us reading books to him unless it is just before his bedtime. He prefers sitting on his potty and looking through his books for 20 minutes at a time. This time, he would sit at the table and listen to me read to him dozen books because he was so exhausted. I must admit, as much as I hate seeing my son sick, I like when he cozies up to me which never happens when he is healthy. The moment doesn't last long anyway because Julia quickly climbs up on my lap and demands her share of attention.

Two days home with the kids is all it takes for me to loose my sanity, so we had to take the kids out on the third day. We decided to take David bowling. He loves throwing and kicking a ball and the bowling alley has a lot of space for him to run around. (We should have taken him months ago! He loved it!)

David would throw a ball and then hop back to see if it came back up.

He loved his "new" bowling shoes which caused quite a scene when it came time to returning them.

And the winner of the first and second games is ..... David!

Seth intended to play with David, but once David got his hands on the ball, he was ready to bowl the next frame. A couple of times, he'd thrown a second ball down the alley before the first ball was returned. One thing of interest - David really did throw the split in the eighth frame!

I was planning to take the kids out on Monday, since Seth was off for the holiday, but I suspected that a lot of places would be a zoo that day; a fact that the Liberty Science Center's website confirmed. It was probably for the better since David was still getting over his cold and Julia was just catching hers. We settled for another day indoors, filled with arts and crafts.

Unfortunately, there is so much painting and "play-doh-ing" that my son can handle, so I let them turn on tv once to watch "Free to be you and me", also known to David as the "carousel video."

Even though the weekend dragged, I got plenty of rest, waking up at 10 am and getting help with the kids - thanks to my husband. I didn't have to worry about grocery shopping as he and David took care of that, in addition to cooking two dinners for us and the kids. It is always nice to have another pair of hands to help out on the weekends. Unfortunately, because of all this rest, it is 2 am on Tuesday morning, and instead of sleeping I am blogging...

No comments: