Saturday, June 26, 2010

Pre-K Graduation.

Last week was David's pre-k graduation ceremony. You'd think at this point I would have gotten used to seeing him perform, especially since he's been doing it since he was 3 years old, but I don't think I could ever get used to seeing him on "stage" singing with his friends. It's one of those priceless moments which is always so emotional to me. (Just how do the teachers get the entire school of kids - ok, 35 kids in the whole school - aged between 3 and 5, to stand still for an entire performance?)

David gets excited at the start of the first rehearsal and works hard to memorizes all his songs in a week. He had sung two of the songs to me days before the show, but said that the other songs were a secret. The theme of their performance was "I'm an American". Julia seemed as excited, if not more, than David to attend the ceremony. She even picked out a dress first thing in the morning. However, she broke down crying in the middle of the ceremony, and not because her big brother was graduating, but because one of the graduating girls received flowers from her older brother when she was getting her diploma, and Julia wanted flowers as well.



David is headed to receive his diploma.







And this is how much he cherishes his diploma.





Once the ceremony was over, the kids were able to stretch their feet and get nutty.





Initially, I intended to give him a little present (not much, just a new bicycle helmet that he really needed and a pencil case filled with chocolates that I brought back from Geneva and never gave it to him), but then I reconsidered; if I set this precedent now when he's not even in a real school, what will I need to give him by the time he graduates from high school? My 401k?

Instead, we celebrated David's graduation and his wonderful little performance by treating the kids to ice cream at our ice cream shop in town.

So... kindergarten, here we come! I have a feeling that the principal will have my cell number on her speed dial!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations David!! Aww, he looks so sweet hugging his teacher. What a precious picture.

Don't worry Julia, it will be your turn soon.

Wait.. you aren't giving the kids the 401 K? Wasn't that the point? How else am I going to pay for college?