Monday, March 10, 2008

My 3 year old is going on 9.

An hour or so ago David turned 3 years old . He loves the idea of birthdays as recently his uncle and daddy turned so many years old and he kept talking about it for days. He loves it as long as it is not his own. So, obviously, he's been taking it pretty hard. I tried to prepare him for the last few months that inevitable is coming -- he is going to be 3 years old to which he would reply "No, nine!". David set out to prove his point today.
He woke up later than usual while Julia and I were already downstairs playing. I heard him walk around in his room, but knew that eventually he'd join us, so I didn't rush to get him. A few minutes later, he came downstairs fully dressed in the clothes he picked by himself and for the first time they actually matched (blue sweatpants, blue turtleneck and blue socks).
As I was following the kids upstairs to take their naps, David rushed into his room and slammed the door behind himself. I was left outside guessing that going to bed wasn't in his plans. I listened for awhile to the noise coming out of his monitor when eventually it ceased to produce any sound. Two hours later, the door of his room opened and I heard "Olivia!". Sorry, buddy, but you had a chance to talk to her when she called to wish you a happy birthday and you blew it. When I walked into his room, the cold breeze caught my attention right away. Both windows in his room were wide open. I don't know how he was able to sleep in this cold room, but even more shocking how he figured out the two steps necessary to open the windows.
I know it is natural that as the kids grow, they are supposed to get more independent, but it is happening too fast in my mind. I am definitely not ready to be a mother of a nine year old, not yet. Feeling my anxiety later in the day, when asked by a friend in the park how old he was, David lifted his 3 fingers and said "three". That's right, today you are three years old.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

HAppy birthday David!! We can't wait to see you and celebrate in person! (That chocolate cake is making me dizzy, just looking at it.)

And congratulations N & S for making it to 3! Woo-hoo! Three down and 15 more to go!

S