Monday, May 23, 2011

Finally We Have Some Answers.


I personally don't believe in airing dirty laundry on the blogs especially when it comes to very personal issues. But I also know that some of my friends and relatives read my blog and to say what I need to say without any interruptions, I need to say it here.

After years of bringing David to multiple doctors and trying to figure out what is going on with him, we are finally one step closer to solving the puzzle. I used to joke that David has early symptoms of Alzheimer. I realize there is nothing funny about it, but most of the time, I feel, I need to throw some sense of humor in order to get through a day. Well, he doesn't have Alzheimer, but he seems to have issues with working memory. What does it mean? Exactly what he has been doing for years -- not recalling things, words, names, information. My first question was how do we help him, what kind of therapy he needs. There is none. There are way of helping him, but it is believed he will suffer academically especially with math. I am not going to get into how bright he is and what grade level he currently reads, it's actually not very important if he doesn't remember what he's read on a previous page.

I believe there are other issues as well, but for now I'm glad someone is actually listening to us. It is now my job to convince his school that David needs extra help, time for testing and less yelling at him.

A lot of people say that you are given what you are capable of handling. Not sure I completely agree with it, but I need to believe that I'm good enough for my son.

3 comments:

Sadaf Trimarchi said...

I'm glad to hear you're getting some answers. Number one - yes, you are good enough. But if you don't believe it yourself yet, then just tell yourself to aspire to BE good enough. That's what I tell myself whenever I am going through a moment of self doubt.

I always assume it's my job to teach my kids everything, but every so often I come to realize they have a lot to teach me as well.

love ya!

S

Nataliya said...

Thanks, Sadaf.

Olena said...

"If you are good enough for your son?" Natalia, you are the best mother, I've ever seen!!! I'm not just saying it, I've seen it many times! So don't underestimate yourself. David could not dream of a better mother and with that I'm sure you'll have enough patience, strength and intelligence to help him! I'm very glad there are ways!!! Love you, him, Julia!